Creative Operations/Business Affairs Director
CREATIVE OPERATIONS/BUSINESS AFFAIRS DIRECTOR
VP/SVP, Senior Role
The ideal candidate will primarily support the Creative Department in all matters relating to contracts, negotiations, talent, stock footage, photography, music and other intellectual properties licensing. This role will also provide guidance and expertise in assessing and managing risk associated with the production of advertising and promotional content, having a strong understanding of legal issues relating to content creation across all platforms.
Dedicated Creative Financial Operations lead, specifically with production and project management to support in the following functions;
- Review an manage creative department finances, financial projections, maintain forecasting, draft/review staff plans, production estimates and Statement of Works (SOWs)
- Help inform and implement business policies, structure, and best practices regarding business affairs within departments across the company.
- Managing production legal issues working hand in hand with internal legal and contracts department. Working closely with Account teams and finance to oversee vendor payments, and approval of purchase orders
- Dedicated rights management support, making sure that all materials produced are properly cleared and licensed for distribution.
- Working with internal contracts team to generate production and vendor contracts; handle all union (SAG, AFTRA, AFM, AICP, ASCAP, BMI, etc.) questions, issues and claims
- Lead weekly status meetings for internal teams with financial and legal updates.
- Collaborate with team leads to create weekly finance reports and job status reports for clients
- Works with production to help ensure the viability of concepts, provide licensing estimates while also ensuring compliance with relevant union/guild requirements, including SAG/AFTRA, reviewing creative for potential red flags or licensing issues.
- Run weekly utilization reports and hour burn report against fee projections.
- Work closely with Producers in monitoring production costs and reconciling/closing production jobs upon completion
- Stays current on legal issues associated with advertising (licensing language, trademark, rights of privacy/publicity, unions, copyright, production insurance)
- At least 8 years of experience as a Business Affairs Manager at a creative advertising agency
- Expertise in SAG, AFTRA, ACTRA, non-union and international union talent contract regulations and payments as they pertain to advertising
- Experience working with talent and licensing third party content, negotiating and drafting talent and license agreements, production agreements, independent contractor and vendor agreements, and handling rights and clearances for broadcast, digital, events, and interactive media
- Knowledge of AICP and AICE bid forms and production procedures and issues
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Demonstrates critical-thinking skills and maintains composure in fast paced environment
- Exceptional written, negotiation and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of employees, clients and vendors
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail, able to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Readily accept new responsibilities and challenges.
- Able to handle highly confidential information and material appropriately
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team setting